Thursday, May 13, 2010

Daily Dish

I am a creature of habit in all aspects – especially the way I eat. I tend to eat the same exact thing every day for weeks at a time (except on weekends), and honestly never get tired of it. It's just easier to plan my meals and cook when I know exactly what I'm going to eat, when, how much, etc. 


But that got me thinking about an earlier post, where I stressed the importance of varying your workouts to avoid hitting plateaus, and realized that maybe my routine eating habits could be doing more harm than good. 


So I decided to do a little research, and here is what I found. 


Apparently it won't hurt you to eat the same thing every day, as long as you're making healthy choices. (Daily trips to Burger King don't count.) However, it's important to vary your diet as much as you can to make sure you're covering all your nutritional bases and taking in all the vitamins and minerals as you can. So maybe instead of your mid-morning apple, you can swap that out for an orange or pear or banana (you get the idea). 


One thing to note, however, is that it may be possible to develop intolerances to certain foods that you eat often. Unfortunately, food intolerances are highly individual and mysterious, and can be triggered by anything from emotional stress to environmental toxins, so it's very hard to predict. 


I figure that as long as I incorporate all the major food groups (fruits, veggies, whole grains, protein, heart-healthy fats, etc.) in my daily diet, I can just keep doing what I'm doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment